Even the most experienced motorcyclists need a helmet to keep them safe on the roads. There are a lot of helmets made out of various materials out there, but today we are focusing on Carbon Fiber helmets. Did you know Carbon Fiber was originally developed by the Ministry of Defence to build strong, light weight air crafts? Even today the airplane model Airbus A350 is more than half made up of Carbon Fiber. The material has also been used to make cars and is popular with civil engineers because it can help strengthen materials like steel, timber and concrete.
If it’s strong enough for a plane, it’s strong enough for your head. Carbon Fiber is one of the lightest and strongest motorcycle helmet materials out there, and it will give you the double advantage of a lightweight helmet that won’t slow you down without compromising on safety.
Our Top 3 Picks
When buying a motorcycle helmet, there are a few factors you need to consider. Here is a check list of some things to look out for before you buy.
- Whether the helmet is full face. Everyone’s preferences will be different, but a full face helmet will give you extra protection when on the road and help protect you against more injuries than other sized helmets.
If the helmet you are buying is full face, you’ll need to make sure it has cushioned cheeks (or you’ll get uncomfortable very quickly) and you have to double check that is ventilated, otherwise aside from getting hot and uncomfortable the helmet will steam over and you won’t be able to see.
- Ventilation is important for other helmets as well, because overheating is the last thing you’ll want when motorcycling on a hot day
- Whether it is D.O.T certified. Helmets that are D.O.T certified fit certain safety requirements and you can rest assure that the helmet has been tested and came up to scratch.
- Avoid helmets that have not been certified, even if they are a very attractive price.
- Size. Most helmets come in four sizes: Small, Medium, Large and X-Large. Most of the products on this list come with the measurements for each size, so make sure to measure your head before buying to ensure you don’t end up with a helmet that’s too small or one that keeps falling off.
- Price. It is always worth paying a bit more initially for a good product that will last than wasting money on something cheap and flimsy that will keep breaking.
- The following guide will highlight some of the best carbon fiber motorcycle helmets on the market. Read on to find out more
Our Top Recommended Carbon Fiber Helmets
Daytona Slim Line – TRUE CARBON FIBER Motorcycle Helmet
This high-end ½ shell helmet is one of the best motorcycle helmets currently on the market. Read on for the exciting features
- Size: According to the manufacturer, this is one of the smallest shell helmets ever made, which means you can finally avoid the ‘mushroom look’ whilst still not compromising on safety. Smaller helmets are also more likely to protect your actual head and not create unnecessary space between the top of your head and the top of the helmet, so this is a pretty important feature.
- Light-weight: Customers praise how light-weight and comfortable this helmet is.
- Free Extras: This helmet comes with a free draw string bag and free head wrap, so you can add extra protection to your head and keep your helmet safe when it’s not being used for added price!
- Certified: This helmet is D.O.T Approved, meaning it has passed recent safety checks
- Ventilated: The interior is made up of moisture wicking fabric to keep your head cooler for longer, and fully adjustable straps help you achieve the perfect fit
- Guaranteed: This helmet has a 30 day returns guarantee, so if for any reason you are not 100% satisfied you can get a full refund/exchange.
- Price: This helmet is a little on the expensive side, but it is always worth investing in a good quality, durable helmet.
- The New Slim Line Carbon Fiber helmet has received positive reviews, with 67% of customers giving it a 5* rating on Amazon.com.
Customers have praised the helmets light weight feel and how well it fits, but some have expressed concerns about the D ring release, saying it’s slower than other helmets on the market.
Note: Make sure you check the sizing chart listed on the Amazon listing to make sure you find the perfect fit.
Motorcycle Half Helmet Cruiser DOT Street Legal – Carbon Fiber (Large)
This is an affordable and fully adjustable half motorcycle helmet that doesn’t compromise on safety.
- Note: This helmet has a Carbon Fiber graphic design, but is NOT made out of carbon fibre. Please keep this in mind before you buy.
- Certified: This helmet is D.O.T approved
- Adjustable: The Motorcycle half helmet cruiser comes with fully adjustable chin straps, so you can loosen or tighten the helmet depending on your individual head shape
- Padding: This helmet comes with padding for extra comfort
- Secure: The visor on this helmet is screwed in, so it is less likely to snap off.
- Free extras: If you buy this helmet you will get a totally free care bag for added protection
- Size: This helmet can be purchased in small, medium, large or X-large sizes. Please refer to the Amazon sizing chart before purchasing.
- Price: This is a very affordable helmet, but keep in mind that as it is not made out of carbon fiber it is likely to be cheaper than helmets that are made out of the material
- Lightweight: Although this helmet is not made out of carbon fiber, it is still a very light weight design that won’t slow you down on the road
- This helmet has mixed reviews on Amazon, with 3.9 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Customers say that the helmet is quite bulky and sits too far up on the head in an egg-like shape. Some customers have also reported that this helmet has no cheek pads.
- If you are looking for a budget helmet that still offers impressive features, then this helmet is for you. If you are specifically looking for carbon fiber helmets or you want something a bit more high-end, you may need to keep looking.
This is an incredibly low price and super sleek full face motorcycle helmet with tons of great features, including:
- Ventilation: This fully ventilated helmet is ideal for summer riding and will keep you cool and refreshed
- Visibility: This helmet has a specific anti-fog and anti-scratch visor to ensure you can see where you’re going at all times. It also offers a wide visual field, so you can see all around you, and is quick release so you can get it on and off again with ease
- Comfort: This helmet comes with fully removable helmet and cheek pads which are extra soft to keep you comfortable for long periods of time. There is also a fully padded neck for even more comfort, and the padding can easily be removed and washed to keep the helmet fresh and clean.
- Safety: This helmet is D.O.T certified
- Size: This helmet comes in sizes small, medium, large, X-large and Z-Large, giving you more options than any other helmet on this list
- Protection: The TCMT is light weight, durable and UV protected. The light-weight design will keep you comfortable and stop any excess muscle strain, the helmet will last longer and break less easily, and the TCMT motorcycle helmet will protect you against sunburn!
- Free extras: The TCMT helmet comes with a free bag
- The visor can be flipped up easily, so you don’t have to worry about feeling claustrophobic or losing oxygen.
- This helmet has received positive ratings and it currently has a 4.7 out of 5 star rating on Amazon.com.
- Customers say the helmet is comfortable and attractive for the price, but some warn that the sizing is a little off and you are better off getting the next size up. Some other users have been concerned that the helmet can get fogged up too quickly, although this doesn’t seem to have affected all users.
This mid range half helmet is incredibly light and is made up of 100% carbon-fiber. Some of it’s features include:
- Weight: This helmet can weigh less than 2 pounds depending on the size, which makes it the lightest helmet on this list. Light helmets, as I am sure you are all aware, are incredibly important for comfortable motorcycle riding because they don’t put extra pressure on your head and shoulders.
- Visuals: This is an attractive black helmet that comes with a shiny visor and a ridged head design
- Safety: As this helmet is made out of carbon fiber, it has the dual benefits of being light weight and impact-resistant
- This helmet includes a 100% carbon fiber shell that has been designed for extra comfort and a better fit
- Price: This is a mid-range helmet that may not be suitable for those on a budget
- The Outlaw Motorcycle helmet includes a removable visor that can be taken off quickly and easily via the 3-snap method
- You can buy the Outlaw helmet in sizes medium, large and X-large. Remember to always check the specific measurements for each size to ensure your helmet is a good fit, and when in doubt go the next size up to be safe.
- The Outlaw motorcycle helmet has mixed reviews, with a 3.8 out of 5* rating on Amazon. Some customers have complained that the Outlaw helmet gives you the dreaded ‘mushroom head’ and isn’t a good fit, and some have found the sizing comes up smaller than stated.
- Other customers, however, have had a more positive experience and praised the helmets comfortable and light design.
Pros and Cons of Carbon Fiber helmets
Even the best helmets have some drawbacks; here is a list of the pros and cons of the helmets listed above and some things to consider.
- Carbon Fiber helmets are, by nature, light weight and strong which gives you the best of both worlds and ensures you are comfortable and safe on the road
- Carbon fiber is quite an attractive material, and the helmets listed above all have a sleek and polished look about them
- Most of these helmets are aware that customers would like to avoid the ‘mushroom head’ effect where possible, and most of the helmets on this list have attempted to combat it and create a smaller design with a better fit
- Carbon fiber is a very durable material that is trusted enough to be used on planes and cars, so if your helmet is made of genuine carbon fiber it should last longer and break less easily than other designs
- Carbon fiber helmets tend to be (although not always) more expensive than their counterparts
- As carbon fiber is a popular sportswear material, there are a lot of fakes and ‘carbon fiber like designs’ to watch out for. Remember that if it seems to cheap to be true, it probably is
- Not all helmets come with removable padding, and if it is not specified it is safe to assume the padding is not removable. This is a problem because not only may some people want to do without the padding in certain situations but it is important to be able to clean the padding, especially if you are buying a full face helmet.
- Sizing can be an issue with all helmets, but as carbon fiber helmets tend to be smaller for a better fit it’s very important you measure your head before buying to avoid disappointment.